Orthodontic treatments are most common from ages 11 to 15 years old. However, we can begin to shape a patient’s orthodontics treatments by as early as age 7. By 12, orthodontists have an excellent picture of an adolescent’s teeth and jaw and can correct any issues. These issues never correct themselves on their own, so it’s always an excellent idea to have our professionals look at them and recommend the right forms of treatment.
It is also important for children of these ages to have orthodontic treatment because adolescents are more agreeable to wearing braces if their peers are also wearing them. The stigma of wearing braces almost disappears, as others have them as well, and children at this age are less conscious and can fit in easier.
Finally, adolescents at this age are going through major physical changes and have a better metabolism. This means they heal faster from minimally-invasive treatment and orthodontists can take advantage of their growth spurts to better shape their smile.
Many of the orthodontic patients at the Rockaway Dental Center are adults! We offer a full range of exciting and effective treatments for adults of all ages to help them improve their smiles and give them a healthier bite and a straighter smile.
By seeking orthodontic treatments as an adult, you are able to improve the healthy shining appearance of your smile and also avoid problems like severe tooth decay, gum and bone loss, wear of the tooth enamel, and TMJ/TMD pain.
Dr. Adam Helfand offers a wide selection of braces and other orthodontic devices for adults in order to meet their treatment and aesthetic needs. From the traditional, affordable metal braces to clear aligners and ceramic options, our practice is more than confident we can help you find the ideal set to give you a gleaming white healthy smile.
Braces in Orthodontic Treatment
- Metal Braces: Metal braces have been the most common type of orthodontic device for decades. Made of professional-grade stainless steel, metal braces are affordable, effective, and can be customized with various band colors, according to the patient’s preference. There have been many breakthroughs over the past decades as well resulting in a smaller, more comfortable, more attractive metal configurations.
- Ceramic Braces: Also known as “clear braces,” ceramic braces make an even more attractive alternative to metal braces. They provide the same effective function as metal, but include one important characteristic metal braces do not: the brackets bonded to our patients’ teeth are tooth-colored. This splendidly blends them to reduce the appearance of the actual braces themselves.
- Invisalign: The Invisalign system straightens and aligns your teeth without the use of brackets and braces. Instead it utilizes revolutionary, clear, customized, removable appliances called “aligners.” They’re virtually undetectable as you wear them, which means you get better aesthetics for your smile, even as they’re working!
Reasons to Pursue Orthodontic Treatment
There are many reasons to pursue orthodontic treatments, whether you are an adolescent or an adult:
- Straightens Your Smile
- Relives Overcrowding of Teeth
- Corrects Over & Under Bites
- Promotes Proper Growth of Teeth & Jaw
- Improves Confidence and Self-Image
- Enhances speech, chewing, and speaking function
- And more…
The Rockaway Dental Center also offers removable orthodontic appliances for those times when permanent dental work isn’t a viable option. Like our braces, these appliances are custom-fitted to your mouth and jaw to provide the easiest, most-comfortable fit possible.
- Mouth Guards: Mouth guards can protect your teeth during sporting events. The help to reduce the overall force exerted on your teeth, and thus prevent broken, knocked out or injured teeth. Our practice can provide you with a custom-fitted mouth guard that serves all your needs and is specifically-molded to your mouth and jaw.
- Night Guard: A night guard covers the surface of your teeth as you sleep. It helps to prevent bruxism (teeth grinding), which can wear your teeth down and cause further damage to your jaw.
- Palatal Expanders: These orthodontic appliances widen the upper jaw through the use of gentle pressure. The molars are moved ever so slightly every time an adjustment is made, and should be worn for several months to reinforce expansion and prevent regression.
- Retainers: Retainers come in two main varieties: fixed or removable. They work by holding your teeth in their new positions, after they have been straightened. Wearing your retainer – under the guidance of Dr. Adam Helfand and the Rockaway Dental Center – is essential to prevent regression of your teeth.
For more information concerning our orthodontic treatments, or to schedule your next appointment with Dr. Helfand, please call Rockaway Dental Center at 973-361-9000.